Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Friday, May 23, 2008

The INs and OUTs of our Week

IN- I finally bought a fan....which you would think is no big deal. But when you do not own a car hauling a fan from the place you bought it...into our apartment is a lot of work! The kids and I had fun putting it together (no directions included, not even in Chinese!).

OUT- notice blanket hanging on the line on our balcony! I love the smell of laundry dried outside! And it still has that fresh outdoor scent..even in China. Crazy
OUT- Big news here. Asa has decided to use the potty. On Monday he woke up with a dry diaper. And with Miriam, that was the biggest sign she was ready to start potty training. Now it took a good three months from dry diaper in the morning to potty on the potty! But Asa can now do number one AND two in the matter of five short days. Amazing. I am serious. I have never been so thankful to sit on the edge of the tub and read books to him.
IN- I give Asa a small piece of candy (NEVER did this with Miriam...perhaps it is why it took so long!) and to Miriam if he goes. Miriam LOVES this- she will sit there and cheer him on to go potty! So cute.

IN- More sweets! To celebrate the fact that Asa is on the potty we got some cake. He ate the whole piece. Again, this would of never happened with Miriam. It is crazy how much you change with your second kid.....


OUT- This is my get up when I go biking. Huge glasses to block out the sun and dust and a cute little mask to block out the pollution? My friend who has lived here six years says the mask does nothing to help your lungs. But I feel like I have some protection.
Mystery of the week...how can your laundry smell so good and the air be so bad? Anyway, thanks for reading. Have a great weekend.



6 Comments:

Blogger The Bowman Blog said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of you with the mask!!!!! So cute!!!!

Way to go Asa--such a big boy!!! Way to go Em! Training in 5 days?!?! Let me in on your secrets. :) Love to you all!!!

Aimee

1:31 PM

 
Blogger Gina said...

amazing that asa can use the potty !! yay!! so exciting!! please be thinking of us with winston and the poop thing, we told him he has to use the potty in the usa, but today i already gave in!! ha ha. i decided after the jet lag i will try again. anyway... awesome fan! and also, i think the laundry can smell good because of all the chemical that we put in it when we wash it. go fabric softner!! ha ha. love, gina

2:15 PM

 
Blogger Trey, Kristina, Hans & Annika said...

Em, I love your blog. (guess cause I love you!?)

And I'm so proud of you, your bike trip, laundry, potty (and potty cheer-leader!) and intrepid biking! We've been biking to church, the grocery store, and anywhere possible and love it!

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Trey, Kristina, Hans & Annika said...

Oh - Proud of your sweets too!

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Dave and Becky said...

How fun... lots of ins and outs! I love the glasses and mask. How gross to think about all of the yucky stuff your poor body has to deal with in the air. The mask would make me feel better too! And hooray for Asa! Morgan is still in the potty process. She'll go when I take her, but if I forget to watch the clock... it's all over. Aargh. Maybe I'll try the candy thing; Caleb would totally go for that too! :)

11:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Em,
Martha and I just wanted to say again that we love the blog and the pictures. We especially love you biker get-up. Martha says Paris Hilton would be inspired.

David and Martha

10:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home