Highlights from My Week
From Miriam
I wake her up on Wednesday and she says:
"Mom I don't want to go to preschool today because today is my gu shi day." Great I think, she is pulling a fast one to just not want to get up. At the breakfast table she asks Joab, "Daddy can you remind me the word for wolf in Chinese again?". He reminds her (lang in Chinese) and she goes on eating her cereal.
On the way to preschool on the back of the bike she asks me again about the word for wolf and how she is nervous for her gu shi. She wants me to tell her teachers that she wants to say the gu shi in Chinese with the rest of the class and not English like her teachers want her too (this is ALL new information to me). I tell her teachers when I get there they seem fine with it.
Having NO idea what a gu shi is I send her on her way to preschool with a kiss and a prayer. I return in the afternoon to a very happy Miriam who tells me her gu shi went great! I finally figure out a gu shi is a little memorized tale that they teach kids here. So she gets on the bike and starts to rattle off her gu shi. It was a good thing she could not see my face as I was in SHOCK. She was speaking a whole story in Chinese. And when she got done with her first gu shi she went right into her second one. When she got done she basically said "yea, this is what I am learning" no big deal to her! She then announced maybe she will make up a car gu shi for Asa. Sure I thought why not.
Also on Wednesday Miriam also announced she was done being five and thought being a teenager would be fun! I said being five is enough work for now!
From Asa
On Friday the guards at Asa's preschool tell me his teacher needs to talk to me. I get nervous thinking he is in trouble for hitting a kid or something. The teacher motions for me to wait until all the kids leave and then she gives me a bag. In it is yogurt. She says "This is from all the teachers at preschool, we all love Asa so much we had to get him a gift". I was speechless and thinking something else was going to follow it...but no they just love Asa!
Also Asa usually whines while I make dinner, he is tired and hungry. But yesterday he came up to me (while I was cooking) and said "Mommy I need to cuddle with you now." I was shocked by how he did not whine! I loved it.
Anyway, some random things from this week!
On a sadder note. Please continue to pray for China as the shock and clean up from this earthquake is going to take a long time. We have friends of friends who live in this area- from what we know they are okay.


5 Comments:
Wow! Go Mirium...and Asa. Those are some amazing kids you have there. :)
1:24 AM
Just another example of how God is working in your lives. Isn't He awesome! Love you all!
Aimee
12:35 PM
Em - my very favorite of your blog posts are the ones like this - where you tell a story about something your kids said. That Miriam is such a smart one! I laughed thinking about you talking to her teachers and not really knowing what the gu shi was. LOL.
5:49 AM
This makes me miss Mei Mei and Asa so much. They are growing up so fast. Can you please buy your plane tickets so I can get mine to come back with you?!?!?!?!? Love you guys!
2:01 AM
It is so amazing how kids can learn a language. Go Miriam go! And I am so impressed with her confidence and bravery!
5:17 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home