Through Miriam's Eyes
I really try hard not to say too much to my kids regarding how crazy I think it is, at times, to live in China. Below are two stories to make my point.
Our Mall
We live right across the street from a huge mall. In the basement of the mall is the subway stop. So you have to go either into the mall to get out and onto the main street or take the really long escalator from the very bottom of the mall to the top. We usually opt for the second option- which is usually fine but on Saturday and Sunday nights our mall turns into a zoo.
You know at Christmas time in a mall all those crazy little stands come out selling things you wonder why people need? Well that is how it is in the courtyard of our mall on the weekend. From the escalator to our front door you can buy the following from any one of the hundreds of vendors: live bunnies, rats and kittens, slippers, freshly squeezed sugar cane juice, roasted nuts, hot dogs, popcorn, DVDs, CD blasting the latest country song hit from the USA, flowers, oranges,watches, earrings, toys, books, cups, plates, Olympic key chains, Chinese Monopoly Boards, hats that have huge rat years on them (it is the year of the rat you know).
In the midst of all this vendors there are dozens of motorcycle riders that call out to you as you pass them. They want to take you anywhere you want to go! Now, mind you all of the above vendors are illegal. But the strange thing is often the police are standing right next to them. So, I can't quite figure it out....
Anyway, one night we were coming up the escalators and I was starting to cringe thinking of the above vendors we would have to dash through to get home. Then Miriam turns to me and says "Mom I can't wait to go to the party!". For Miriam the whole scene is one big party! I had not seen it as such before. But I have a much better attitude if enjoy the party and not try to just avoid it.
Heaven
Pollution is a huge problem in the world and especially in China. Some days you just want the wind to take all the pollution away! Today was one of those days. It was cloudy today but the haze in the air made it seem even more gray.
In the afternoon Miriam turns to me and says "Mommy I see Heaven!". Heaven I say, where is heaven?
The sun was setting in the midst of the haze and clouds making the sun seem a dull yellow. To Miriam this looked like heaven. She just stared at the hazy sun so happy that she could finally see heaven.
And so a few stories for you about a five year old teaching her Mom that the joy of youth can make anything seem magical.


4 Comments:
oh em...i love reading about your adventures in china. your right...we should look at things the way a child does...they find the positive in everything (although i imagine it's hard to do with all of those vendors in your face...it's relentless)!!!
10:51 AM
Hey Em! Oh my goodness, the adventures you're having! I'm sorry to hear about your broken ankle. I definitely need to check your blog more often. I've been fully immersed for the last 20 minutes or so. You guys are amazing. Take care, get better, and know we're thinking of you!
9:49 PM
Okay, eventually we have to come visit because I need to see these things with my very own eyes. Love the description!
12:18 PM
Way to go Miriam ... and Emily for listening to her! :) Great stories - thank you for sharing them.
1:17 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home