Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pneumonia from Miriam's Point of View

Hello all! What a week. What started off as a cold somehow changed into Pneumonia in both lungs! We are all pretty shocked. As she had a fever but really no cough. So we went to the Doctor and he said we needed IV antibiotics. We were unsure really what to do- but after contacting some medically minded friends here decided this would be the best course of action. So on Sunday we went to the hospital (it was also a Chinese hospital which is a whole other blog entry! Let's just say it was an adventure!) and only had to stay over night two nights until she was fever free. We still went back Wed- Thur for the IV meds but then could come home to sleep!

Miriam seems a lot better now. She still has some "junk" in her lungs so will still need to rest for a few more days and take more meds. We learned a lot- my Chinese was put to full use and we were blessed in so many ways from our great friends here!

I decided to let Mei tell her side of the story. If it needs explaining I will put my comments in red! Enjoy!
This is my IV. I have seen it before because we play with it at school. I have never in my life seen a real one! At school we have one, exact same as this. Well, they are just little bottles. We play with them for playtime! At school. True, they play with pretend IVs at school. They play Doctor and sometimes the Doctor has to give them IV meds. I learned this week that a lot of meds they only have by IV. As in Americawhen kids get sick we give them all their yummy meds in bubble gum flavored syrup- well here they usually use IVs. Interesting.....

This my pet seal- Fluffy. She is very cute. She came to the hospital with me. I got her from my Mother's teacher. And the teacher's wife let me have it.

This is my playing erasers. You can not believe they are really erasers! You can put them apart! But you can not mess up them. Sometimes you can and can not.
When we were playing with these Mommy first found out that they can come apart! So fun!

My interview with Miriam!
What were you sick with?
Mian Fei- Actually in Chinese it is Fei Yen. Funny but Mien Fei means- for free! Which this was not!
How long were you sick?
One week
How did you feel?
Sometimes I feel good sometimes I feel bad
How was the hospital?
It kind of felt like a hotel (note this would not be my first answer....)
What did you do in the hospital?
At 6 AM I always had this care check. And then 6 1/2 clock I was ready to get the needle done.
How did the IV feel?
You put the needle in, in hurted a little. Maybe just like a poke
How do you feel now?
Better
If someone else got this sickness what would you tell them?
I am sorry I gave it to you

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOH Meyers---my sympathies! Glad she is out of the hospital (bet you are also glad to be out of there!). I hear that Chinese hospitals are quite the life experience; I would agree that it is unlikely to be hotel-like! :)

9:59 PM

 
Blogger Sarah Jane said...

So glad she's feeling better, Emily! I love the interview.

10:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miriam I love your explaination of being in the hospital. I am glad you are home now though! What do you want me to send with NyNy to China from Nebraska? Love, Christy Grandma

12:11 AM

 
Blogger Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Wow what a week! I love Miriam's explanation, cool erasers! What an adventure!

1:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better Mei. I liked your interview with your mommy. I also liked your erasers. Jonathan, Lydia and I are praying that you feel even better soon!
Love you,

The Staebells

11:52 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Mei Mei, we are so happy that you are better now and very glad that youa re so strong! now that you have told us your hospital story we wont be afraid if we ever haver pneumonia, we'll just ask for an IV and pretend we're in a hotel.

2:40 PM

 
Blogger The Bowman Blog said...

so glad that you are feeling better, Miriam! We were praying for you!
Love, Aimee

11:18 PM

 
Blogger Joy said...

Oh my goodness! This is so sad, yet I am laughing at your hilarious comments. :)

1:53 PM

 
Blogger Jill K said...

WOW! Miriam!! What troopers you are! Isaiah's had a fever for a few days now and it's concerning to read this..... I'm praying now for thorough recovery for both our precious ones!

Much love to you dear Meyers!

the Ks

11:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're glad to hear she's over the sickness!

The Teichroew's

12:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home