Parent Day
Tuesday was Parent Day at the kids' school. Which was kind of a problem since I have two kids, one mama and two classrooms to visit. In the land of the one child policy- sometimes having two kids can be hard. Tuesday was one of those days.
I started out in Mei's room (after peeling Asa off my leg while all the other Mamas gathered to play with their three year olds) and we played outside and sang the National Anthem together (well I lip synced, Mei actually knows the words).
Then it was off to Asa's class room (leaving a very sad Mei behind) where snack time was getting over and outside fun was starting. Just as Asa started to get into the outside fun we had to stop to "rest" as the kids were getting too hot. Not too hot for me! But oh well, we stopped.
Then we went in to rest some more and the Teachers all started to talk to me about how Asa was way too hot in the long sleeved shirt and shorts he was wearing. (Note- yesterday they told me he was too cold).
This was the last straw. So I asked for a pair of scissors . Curiously, Asa's teacher gave me a pair. As I leaned over to start to cut his long sleeved T-shirt into a T-shirt- I tripped on the chair and came crashing down on a preschool plastic chair and a huge Lego wall that separated the classroom into the play room.
As I emerged from the Lego mess (with scissors still in hand) I looked at the plastic chair crushed underneath me and all the Mama now starring at me. I was undaunted and rose (said sorry for the now broken chair) to cut Asa's shirt.
He I hope, was much cooler the rest of the day. I am thankful next year I will only have Asa in preschool and will not have to play ping pong Mama for Parent Day.


4 Comments:
When Ellen was younger I had a grandma come up to me at the grocery store in Langfang and tell me that I was a bad mom because Ellen's wrist was showing between her coat and her mittens. I can handle the "too cold, too hot" thing, but when you question by parenting? That was the last straw. I pointed to her grandson's bare bottom that was so nicely displayed by his split pants and told her that she was a bad grandma. I must say she was rather shocked! Not sure at what...probably that a foreigner could tell her that in Chinese. And I'm sure it didn't change anything - other than making me feel better. :)
8:52 PM
I constantly wish I knew enough Chinese to say something back to all the grandmothers that scold me for what my son is wearing! It drives me crazy!
9:09 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! Thanks for the great laugh, Emily!
3:45 AM
Wow, did you just have a culture shock moment! That is so funny!
5:50 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home