Ok before I
telll you about the bamboo- got to tell you about the corn. Went to a local art district here in Shanghai and met this artist who made (as you can see above) a huge purple corn cob. This artist grew up with parents who farmed corn- and
Joab being from the corn state- well they shared a common bond. This corn can be yours! Only 80,000
RMB (around 11,000
USD).

Bamboo and more bamboo. You know Pandas eat it- but did you know it can be
scaffolding too? We had no idea until this Spring. Some of the older buildings in town are getting painted for the upcoming 2010 World Expo. The building that we look at daily will look so much better after some paint! Can't wait!
FYI- I asked a guy how old he thought this huge bamboo was he said 200-300 years old. Not sure if I believe him or not- but in any case it is HUGE.
First they bring the bamboo in and little by little workers take it from the pile to make the below:

Pile that I was standing by from the top- looking out of our living room window.

I will post when they are done! Can't wait. What the workers do not know is this is the window my parents will look out of when they come! I joke that they are getting Shanghai ready for my Mom to come! :)
6 Comments:
Hola how are you! i hope my english is not that bad and make some sence in my writing! I was watching all this bamboo and is funy because althougt Shangai and Colombia are antipodas lot of things are very similar bamboo is so popular here too and there is also an architect whos name is Simon Velez who works and build houses and bridge in bamboo using it as structure, and suppousedly bamboo is a known as vegetal steel, I look for this page http://www.deboerarchitects.com/BambooThoughts.html is cool too I was wondering if the pink corn is as good as the corn that we had las summer.....
bueno Chao Love always your news from china!
MArtha
Una brazo grande!!!!!
6:43 AM
Love your Shanghai notes, Em. Thanks for sharing your daily life! I want to come to China and see bamboo too!!!
7:03 AM
seriously, i want that corn for my living room. the size and color will go perfect with the rest of my decor. hook me up.
hey em...just curious...do you speak the language pretty well? you are probably fluent by now, and all i can say is ni hao...
10:42 AM
I had remembered reading about bamboo a while back that it was the one of the fastest growing grasses/plant. So I looked it up to give you some interesting figures. "Bamboo is the fastest-growing plant on Earth; it has been measured surging skyward as fast as 121 cm (47.6 inches) in a 24-hour period,[6] and can also reach maximal growth rate exceeding one meter (39 inches) per hour for short periods of time." I guess that it why they used it to torture people at one time? I think you have given me an idea for science, what a great think to learn about in China. Thanks.
Lisa W
12:23 AM
Wow! Cool purple corn!
6:43 AM
I ain't never seen purple corn before.
Huh.
12:22 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home