Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Do your Kids Speak Chinese?

When we talk to people in the States or even here in China- people ask us "Do you kids speak Chinese"?

I am not sure how to answer- mostly the answer is No. But here are some interesting examples.

1. I think a two year old favorite word is- NO. Just this week Asa starting saying it in Chinese- BU!

2. Miriam now only says the word dog in Chinese.

3. Asa when we ride past people on the bike says Ne Hao, not Hello anymore.

4. When we get home from playing outside I say "Let's wash our hands" in Chinese. Miriam headed for the bathroom last week (beating Asa to it) and Asa started yelling I want to (in English) wash hands (in Chinese).

5. Miriam says she can understand simple instructions at preschool. This is huge!

So, these are some simple examples. They say more is caught then taught to kids- I am learning this is true with language learning.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!

Your kids speak Chinese, at least enough to get along in their world. What about you, how are your lessons coming?

Earlier you mention that Joab wasn't well, is he better now?

Your birthday pictures look like you are 13 years old, not the mother of two beautiful children.

Hug the children for me.

Peace

McMom

3:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home