Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My kids

What a week! It started out a bit stressful when Miriam woke up on Saturday morning with hives all over her body. Long, LONG story short and three vists to the Hospital later (think Chinese urgent care) we determined we have no idea why she is still having hives today (Wednesday). There have been shots, meds and lots of hugs. They do not really itch just cause a lot of swelling. We have been racking our brains to try to think about what she ate, played with, touched or smelled. One friend told me her little sister used to get hives when she got really excited....and Mei has been that lately.

So now we are on new meds and hopefully she will get better!

Joab and I met with our new tutor tonight. My brain hurts, but it was good to realize how far I have to go. Joab makes it look so easy! But he had about a ten year head start on me- good to remember!

Have red hair? Read on- this is very interesting. I know understand how Asa can have red hair a but Joab and I can not!

Red hair is caused by a mutation in the MC1R gene. It's also a recessive trait, so it takes both parents passing on a mutated version of the MC1R gene to produce a redheaded child. Because it's a recessive trait, red hair can easily skip a generation. It can then reappear after skipping one or more generations if both parents, no matter their hair color, carry the red hair gene.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean Smith said...

Hmmm...so I have a mutated gene huh? Travis too? That's how Barrett came to be! Give Miriam a hug for us...

11:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, you have been busy learning genetics and Chinese. You have been really studying. Hope the hives have gone and that Mei is all well now. I hope that the hives don't reoccur for her, but at least they didn't itch. Hope that Asa doesn't get the hives.

Hug the children for me.

Peace

McMom

2:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home