Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Saturday, September 15, 2007

I feel like I like it here....

Greetings from Shanghai China. Most days here I have to pinch myself that in the last two years (by God's amazing wonderful grace): moved from MN to AZ, went to Grad School, then went to Beijing for six months, then went back to Grad School, then graduated!, then did not find a job in America, then sold all our stuff, then Joab went to China, then I lived with my parents for six weeks.....then we end up here.

It is hard to put into words what it is like to live in Shanghai. My friend Krissy who came with me here has a blog and has put many pictures on it. See it for details of our time here so far!

http://www.trulyglobal.blogspot.com/

Most days I feel like I live in Singapore, although I have never been there! I guess it feels a lot more Western than where we lived in Beijing. People speak more English here, it is a bit cleaner and the city seems to flow at a faster pace.

Monday is a big day in our house. Joab starts his new job, Mei goes to Chinese preschool and Asa starts at a little preschool too (Chinese as well). Both kids will be the only white foreigners at their school (Mei's has one little boy from Japan). So my Chinese will have to kick into full gear to be able to understand what the teachers are saying to me! It is amazing at the amount of Chinese I have to use daily already- I am REALLY glad I studied in Bejing!

I will take a week or two to settle the kids into school and our family into a daily routine. Then I will start with a Chinese tutor while the kids are at school. I also plan to start homeschooling Mei in the afternoons, so this will take some planning as well.

Having Krissy here was so wonderful. So glad such a good friend was able to see a bit of our life in China. I am sad she had to go.....

On Friday night I asked Mei how she felt so far about living in China. She said "I feel like I like it here". It was really sweet, she said this right after Joab showed her how to hail a cab in China! She hailed one down for us and felt like a really big girl.

So, that is a bit of our life here- more to follow soon! Em

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Meyers!

Sounds like school is starting for Mei and Asa and very soon for you too, Em. I'm glad that you are getting settled and that Joab is starting work. You sound very happy.

I'm sure it won't be long before you have friends and relatives in for a visit.

Hugs to the children.

Peace

McMom

3:38 AM

 
Blogger Smith Family said...

Hi Em! Oh my word...it is going to be SO MUCH FUN to hear about your adventures in China! You already know that I am jealous and hope you totally enjoy your life there...what a wonderful, beautiful, great place (can you tell I am very fond of China???).

12:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home