Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006 in Beijing



Happy Thanksgiving 2006!


We celebrated the Holiday this Friday with fourteen of Joab’s Chinese co-workers and some British friends, there were 27 of us all together. The menu included; roast Beijing Duck (which I did not make but ordered from a local restaurant), meatloaf, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cherry Jell-O, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, banana bread, brownies and apricot cobbler!!

It was really fun to show our friends some American food. One of my favorite memories was bringing out the sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. They first had no idea what marshmallows were, and then could not believe they were on top of a vegetable. I had never thought how strange it is that we put such a sweet thing on veggies!

Miriam also was amazed by the Jell-O, which I put bananas in. She said to me “ Mommy, that is a really interesting soup the bananas are in”. It made me think she is forgetting American food! I guess it is okay to forget Jell-O! She was also fascinated by marshmallows; I wish I would have had a camera when she stuffed a whole one into her mouth.

As I was making the pumpkin pies I realized I did not have a can opener or a rolling pin! So I improvised by using an oyster sauce bottle for a rolling pin and prying the can open with a bottle opener.

On Thanksgiving Joab has a conference for work (it is not a National Holiday in China) so it was nice to make the Holiday some special early. We are thankful for all of you reading our blog and are excited to see many of you soon! Em

2 Comments:

Blogger Christina and Ken said...

I had forgotten all about those sweet potatoes. They were sooooooo good! Now that is all I will be able to think about for the rest of the day.

Glad to see you were able to celebrate the holiday in your own way. Though with you two, I am pretty confident that you are thankful everyday.

Cheers,

Ken

12:18 AM

 
Blogger Danny, Andrea, Connor and Lizzie said...

The pie is very impressive. Way to go on getting creative for the rolling pin and can opener. I love reading your stories.

I remember when we got home from Prague we were in shock for about a week with all the food choices we had. We must have gained a few pounds!

I'm so excited to see you at Thunderbird soon!

Andrea

2:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home