Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Monday, June 19, 2006


It is Kosher here to take off your shoes when you enter someone's home. So they have these nice shelves built into our closet so you can store your shoes. And it is Miriam's job every night to organize the shoes and put them into the right shelf. Asa now thinks it is his job to totally disorganize the very specific way his sister has the shoes arranged.

Miriam can say in Chinese "do not touch me please". However, she will only say this to her brother (in chinese) and not the Chinese who want to touch her! It is pretty funny to watch them play and then Miraim start into the Chinese when he starts to get too near to her.

This week he finally did learn that putting your fingers into outlets are a NO- and now has moved onto garbage cans and brooms to eat. I am hoping all the dirt he is eating will help his immune system in some crazy way.

Joab finished his first week of work working to midnight on Friday to get a report out. He seems to really what he is doing (even if he has to wear a tie everyday). Life is falling more into a routine and for that I am thankful. My big accomplishment this week is now I know how to naviagte the crazy streets of Beijing on my bike enough to go to three different grocery stores by myself!! I am feeling pretty good, since most signs are in Chinese and crossing streets with: cars, motorcycles, horses, electric bikes, gas powered bikes, three wheel bikes and tons of people walking can be quite an experience. You have to be bold and just cross when the majority of people are going across (not always when the light turns green).

Our other big news is that we have found an oven I can use for the summer. Banana bread, cookies, and baked chicken here I come. I have never wanted to kiss an electric appliance until today!

1 Comments:

Blogger K and G McNabb said...

The first thing I made when I finally found an access to an oven in Prague was chocolate chunk cookies (no chips to be found anywhere here!) for all the T-birds when they were studying for midterms. I know the joy you must be experiencing yourself :)
Good stories, Em. Good luck with the visa process and with learning Chinese.

4:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home