Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Food


Making meals three times a day in China was one of my greatest fears moving here. I can handle some chinese food, but not all day. I was very thankful for friends who helped me figure out where to buy the ingredients for and make: mac and cheese, pancakes and french toast and curry.

This picture is taking off the heads of shrimp for a recipe from a chinese friend. You take 1 lb of shrimp (take off the heads but leave the shell on). Fry 1 TBLS of ginger in oil, add the shrimp sprinkle 1 tsp of salt and fry until the shrimp are pink. It is quite good! You can also see my new rice cooker in this photo, it can make a lot of rice. No dishwasher or stove in the kitchen so a wok and a frying pan (and microwave) is what I have to work with (never thought I would be making mac and cheese in a wok).

I am hoping to learn how to make more fish dishes as they are are pretty cheap here and really good to eat. I will let you know if I find a good recipe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home