Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Laughter

Laughter is truly the best medicine:

On Sunday night I ate something making my insides decide not very happy. This made me feel pretty gross and I was still feeling pretty sick on Monday afternoon when I picked the kids up from preschool.

On a side note I am always amazed at how happy my kids are when I pick them up. They have no idea they are basically the only foreigners at their preschool, that there Mom can barely understand the instructions their teachers give or that there are 100 foot long bamboo poles sticking out from the building supporting something...but more looking like they are ready to fall on us.

So I pick them up, pick up dinner from Rebbecca, and head home.

On a side note my dear friend Rebecca made us dinner because she knew I could not cook (or eat)! I am always amazed at my friends here. Seriously, we have great friends.

We are home, do home school, watch a movie, eat , do bath and we were eating a snack when BOOM we loose power.

On a side note I forgot to mention Monday night was the Chinese Lantern Festival. In times past lovely red lanterns we lite outside your home. And perhaps in some homes they still do. But now it basically means to fire off huge, HUGE fireworks. And Monday night was not exception. Huge fireworks were firing all over. And since our apartment sits on a corner we get to hear them from all sides.

So the power goes off and the only thing lighting up our kitchen is when the fireworks go off. My kids (still happy) and me (still sick) decide we better find a real light source. All I can find is an old candle and toothpicks. So I take the toothpick turn on our gas range and light the toothpick to then light the candle.

The kids (happy) think it is pretty great to use the gas burner to light a tooth pick on fire! As I light the candle Asa starts to sing 'Happy Birthday' in Chinese! I just started to laugh and could not stop.

It made all my stomach pains, lack of electricity and flashlights worth it.

Laughter is truly the best medicine

On a side note Joab came home and got the electricity to work- I had too many heaters on and had blown a circuit. And my stomach is fine now)

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

I love this post. I love hearing stories about your kids...I would laugh too! :)

3:42 AM

 
Blogger Kristie said...

In fact...I do laugh when I read them - you have a way of making us feel like we are there too! :)

3:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you are feeling better:)

Dina

1:48 AM

 
Blogger laura ann said...

your kids also *look* happy in every single picture!!

2:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to read these stories, Emily & Joab. I love you guys.
Mary Lou

4:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home