Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Friday, June 13, 2008

What My Kids Don't Lack


Two Stories from this week to point out what my kids don't lack- Asa humor and Miriam confidence!


Asa


Like any good Mama monkey I was looking over Asa's ears earlier this week. I noticed that of his ears was really plugged up with lots of ear wax. Thinking it might be so much that he could not hear I said to him- "Asa I am going to tell you a word in this ear. You tell me what you hear". So I whispered monkey into the plugged up ear.


He looked at me with a straight face and said really loud "ZEBRA" then he laughed out loud. That little stinker! I laughed so hard too. I guess he can hear just fine :).


Miriam


Today on the way home from preschool we stopped at our egg lady to buy some eggs. We have been buying eggs from her since we arrived so she knows us and is really nice. She sells all types of eggs about six different kinds. We stick to the clean chicken eggs and we get 16 for about one US dollar (what are eggs these days in the US can someone tell me?).


So we get our eggs and then she picks out some smaller spotted eggs to give the kids as gifts. (I had flashbacks to going to the Bank with my Mom as a child and getting suckers....). I ask the egg lady what bird this egg came from but had no idea what she said to answer me. Got to love that- you know the right question to ask and then have NO idea what the answer means!


The kids thought this was pretty cool, I was hoping they would not crack them on the way home.
We get home (Asa only cracked one!) and I ask Miriam if she knows what the egg lady was saying about what bird these eggs are from.


She says "Yeah Mom," she said "They are rooster eggs. Yep, a rooster gave these eggs."


I sure would like to meet that rooster!


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim Harms said...

I just paid $1.39 today for a dozen eggs on special at the small "mom and pop" grocery store in Slater.

6:25 AM

 
Blogger Gina said...

oh emily, you are the BEST blog writer, seriously - i laughed so hard at these stories... i have tears in my eyes, then i have to read the post outloud to my whole family and im laughing so hard i can't read it and they just look at me funny :) HAHA. anywya - thanks for the good post! :) gina

1:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
Your kids are so cute! The grocery stores in SoCal sell a dozen eggs for about $3, but Trader Joe's (an organic/natural type store) has them for about $1.50. I always loved how much cheaper stuff was in China! Enjoy!

2:03 AM

 
Blogger Trey, Kristina, Hans & Annika said...

So we don't pay even close to a dollar for a dozen eggs. Try $6.99 for local, or the same for 18 mainland (10-day-old) eggs here on Oahu! Crazy price for life in Hawaii (and no cool spotted gift-eggs). Love hearing about your life and our super-cool kids.

8:35 AM

 
Blogger Kristina said...

So I was off by a little: $5.09 for local eggs . Smokin' deal. ;) But I just noticed you get 16 for a dollar! nice!

Hey I was just thinking, I know that in Russia to sell a dozen roses is bad luck: that's the number you'd get for a funeral. And you get 16 eggs: are there different number-traditions in China? (is 16 eggs the norm?) Love hearing about your life in China!

10:22 AM

 
Blogger Jason and Lisa said...

My kids love those speckled eggs. They give them to them as snacks at the local kindergarten. Your stories are a lot of fun! They help me remember all the special things I take for granted here.
Lisa W

7:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home