The Nuke
So Salome loves her nuke. In fact, about two hours after she was born Joab went across the street from the hospital to buy a nuke for her. Again, oh how life has changed with the third! We vowed never to do a nuke with Mei- then Asa found his thumb...then Daddy gave the nuke to Salome. Here is a funny story about the above nuke from last week:7:30 AM- race to get Asa and Mei ready to go to school. Put nuke into Salome's mouth and give her to Daddy. She will "play" on the guest bed while Joab does a conference call from home and I take kids to school
7:35 AM- Big kids and I on the bike. Asa sits in front- Mei sits in back. Asa asking me "why do people have to go to work" all the way to first Mei's school and then Asa's.
8:15 AM- Return home. Nurse baby. Pack up baby. Put baby in stroller.
8:45- Leave house to head to light rail train station
9:00 AM - On the train- but OH NO! Forgot the nuke! Quick text my friend (whose house I am headed to tutor her kids) to see if she has a nuke. She does not! So I need to go find one...shoot.
The train stops- I get out- have to carry the stroller down all the steps out of the train station (usually escalators here go up - but not down). It is raining....and I need a grocery store fast.
9:05 AM- find a grocery store! Cross four lanes of traffic and into the grocery store
9:15 AM- Enter grocery store! But have now completely forgotten how to say the word "nuke" in Chinese. So I say "that thing they put into their mouth". The lady thinks I mean formula- so that did not work. Then I say "the fake thing that is in your mouth" with this they completely think I am nuts. And now are just ignoring me. But finally I persist and ask "where are the things for a baby that they can not eat". Now they understand and point me to the nuke section.
9:25 AM- Enter nuke section. Which means I get to pick from ONE kind of nuke. That is right- they have just one kind of nuke. I am now day dreaming about the Target section of Nukes...
9:30 AM- Back to reality. I pay for the nuke- a whole USD 50 cents.
9:35 AM- Back on the road- nuke in mouth- and now she sleeps.
9:45 AM- Baby still asleep- reach friend's house- thankful I spent 50 cents for that nuke


6 Comments:
Great story, Em! Love that they start ignoring you and you are still persistent!
11:18 PM
Too funny! Love the picture!
12:48 AM
Great story!
Contrasting blog posting styles:
Emily's - Straight up mind candy. I laugh, I cry and I smile at the end and wish there was another post because it puts me closer to your family.
Joab's - I bust out the dictionary, spend 15 minutes reading the back-story on Wiki and become a better educated human that drops knowledge on others as they pass through my day. I wish I could take a nap at the end of the post because I’m mentally exhausted.
Do I enjoy one more than the other? Absolutely not. I love seeing the differences in the way you guys write and the experiences that you have.
If I haven't said so before....I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!
1:17 AM
Too funny! I understand the issue...
Jonathan took a pacifier when he was little (his foster mom started him on it.) At 10 months old, I took it away and did not have any issues.
The entire 3 months I spent in Maryland with Jaden, I tried to get him to take a pacifier. Unfortunately he found his fingers and I still have not got up the nerve to cut them off to get him to stop sucking them...(I joke!)
Makayla took the pacifer from the beginning. We were very happy! However, when she was 10 months old and we took it away, she found her thumb and sucks it raw now...Actually sucks both of them raw. She is an equal opportunity sucker and will use either thumb.
Oh the things we will do for some quiet when there are multiple kids in the house!
Miss you!
2:18 AM
oh dear lord. louie said it. you two truly are ying and yang. love ya tons.
12:35 PM
Ha! Love it! We are nuk happy over here too (even Ellie still has hers at night to help her fall asleep---shhhhhhh, don't tell her dentist)! Whatever works-Mama needs her sleep! ;-)
10:35 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home