Hi! We've lived in Shanghai since 2007. Joab works for a technology company and Em loves raising globally minded kids

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Home School

I could write a lot about home schooling- mainly that I have no idea what I am doing. But I have great friends who are and help me- and that Miriam is really easy to teach.

We get home from Chinese school about 5 PM and then do about an hour of reading and math together. I realized yesterday that I do a lot for Miriam and not much for my very active and very cute three year old.

So yesterday I got some of his favorite toys out to help him match colors and numbers (while Miriam worked on math). I got down on the floor with him and asked him to give me all the red cars. He refused saying that they were not fast enough for me to have them. So then I asked for the black ones. He was okay with that but I know could smell that I was in "teaching mode" and not "play mode".

So I switched my tactics and went for a lesson in letters. I held up a train. I asked him to tell me what letter it started with and he said........Choo Choo!!!!

I smiled. Took my teacher hat off and just played. He won't be three forever.....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily you don't need to teach them any thing, just show them the world like you are and they will learn so much..... they are already so far ahead of kids their age because you are such a good mom. Just play with them and sneak in some teaching, Miriam won't be 6 forever either and she will learn both math and reading before you know it..... I love you! MOM #2

2:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, Hi! It was fun getting connected with you again and seeing how you guys are doing through your blog! I enjoyed reading quite a few of your posts! Your kids are such cuties!
Jaime

7:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home